Palūšė – the capital of Aukštaitija national park, a resort. Here the most significant events of the Aukštaitija national park take place.
Since the mid 20th century Aukštaitija national park and Palūšė have been reputed as the Mecca of water tourism. As far back as 1959, Palūšė had its tourist base established, from which organised water tourism trips have been arranged. From here, the most important tourist routes lead through the lakes and rivers of Aukštaitija.
The pride of Lithuania – a marvellous piece of nature with one of the oldest wooden sanctuaries – the church of Palūšė, a reconstructed boat house, the Ladakalnis hill, now better suited to tourists, the mill of Ginučiai, the Stripeikiai beekeeping museum, a viewing area on the telecommunications tower. The Aukštaitija national park is suited to travelling by foot, bicycles, canoes, easy to drive by car. Thus, the Aukštaitija national park is well known outside Lithuania as well. In Palūšė tourism is well-developed, there are resting and camping places, boat houses. During summer boats are rented, whereas in winter – skis. There are tourist centre, library, handicraft centre in the village (Paluse souvenirs: http://www.paluse.lt/souvenirs/).
Good opportunities to travel the surroundings – vegetation can be explored from the botanical trail, there is a 5 kilometre wellness trail in the forests, pedestrian pathway to Ginučiai, also a tourist route towards Tauragnai.
There is an opportunity to ride a carriage or sledges. From the church’s hill a fantastic view to the vastness of Lūšiai lake opens up. This lake, adherent to a village, is enshrouded in legend. It tells that it is dangerous for men to swim in the lake past midnight, for the pixies appear who torture men in a strange way – tickle. The old folks maintain that one of them still lives in a nearby Tarama lake.
In the historical sources, Palūšė has been mentioned since 1651. At the time, there was a forwark which belonged to Šumskai. There is a wooden church of St. Juozapas in Palūšė (having been constructed in 1750, it is an oldest church in Lithuania. It is said that the only tools used for construction were an ax and a saw), belfry (portrayed on the former 1 litas note. Octagonal belfry, reminiscent of the old Lithuanian wooden castle towers, is the only such in Lithuania) and a small chapel registered in the cultural heritage registry. The church contains valuable folk art works – plank paintings, carvings, brass bells, made in 1752 and 1772, decorated with baroque ornaments. The birthplace of the first Lithuanian opera “Birutė” creator Mikas Petrauskas and his brother tenor singer Kipras is Palūšė, which is close to Ignalina. Precisely in Palūšė church, while playing organs, their father married J. Rastenytė from Antagavė village.
We wish you a good rest!